Kelley
A couple days after my most recent excursion to Guatemala, I headed up to Belize with Gabrielle and her friend Bart for Semana Santa. I almost didn't come back, partly because the boat ride over was horrendous, but mostly because I am in love with Belize.
We started off our trip by heading out to Puerto Barrios (about 45 minutes from San Pedro Sula) to catch a water taxi to Placencia (our port of choice). It was scheduled to leave at 11:30, so we arrived at 10:30 to buy our tickets and go to customs. In the most classic form of Central American efficiency, the immigration office is on the exact opposite side of town from the dock we pulled out of. Around 12:30, we pull out of Puerto Barrios and head towards Belize. Here is our boat driver:

"But Kelley" you may say, "there's no one in that seat." I know. He liked to climb down from the captain's seat every so often for 5-10 minutes to do...captain stuff. While the boat was charging ahead at full speed. I don't know if this is normal captain behavior, but everyone on our boat ride seemed surprised by it. A couple hours later we arrive at Big Creek. In another fine display of Central American efficiency, everyone (and all their luggage) is removed from the boat. We stand around for about an hour while about 50 large boxes of meat and Lipton iced tea are removed. Then we all get back on again, one at a time, so the customs agent can stamp our passports. Then we are on our way to Placencia.

I have heard that Placencia is not the best city to visit in Belize. Not because it is dangerous or anything, but because there are other places that are more beautiful. All I can say is, the other places must be ah-mazing, because Placencia was delightful. Gabrielle has a friend named Rob who owns a pizza shop there (Pizza Caye, in case you are ever down there) and he makes some pretty good pizza. He puts cream cheese on some of his pizzas, which I thought was weird until I tried it. It's definitely not for every pizza. But he makes this jalapeƱo popper pizza with cream cheese on it, and it is mighty tasty. There is also a lady near the dock named Miss Brenda who makes the most amazing jerked chicken in the world. Sanitation is not really high on her priority list (she definitely stirred raw chicken around in the marinade and then pulled a piece off the grill and onto my plate with the same fork) but if you are up-to-date on your shots (like me) you should be ok. Don't worry mom, I won't make you eat there.

While we were there, we headed out to Cockscomb Jaguar Reserve, about an hour away by bus. We were only able to spend a couple hours out there, but there are tons of opportunities for hiking and camping that I would love to go back for. It was a really beautiful reserve. The admission is really cheap, but be aware that if you are not driving your own car, the taxis charge $20 (US...$40 BZ) to get from the ticket booth to the park entrance, and another $20 to get back to the main road. If you walk it is about a 2 hour hike. That caught us off-guard.

There were apparently some whale sharks spotted while we were out there, but unfortunately I am the worst snorkel trip planner ever. So I still have not seen a whale shark. But we were able to get a really nice man named Bobo to take us out to Bugles and Lark caye. It was rainy and windy the day before, so the water was murky in some areas. Regardless, it was absolutely breathtaking. I got to test out the underwater case my parents got me, so I can share some of the beauty of the Belizean reefs with you. Be advised that once my student loans are payed off, I am going to live on a hut on a beach near a beautiful reef somewhere. Preferably on a remote island so I can evade taxes and not have to work. And I am just going to swim, dive, and fish all day. If I can find an island with good surfing, I will do that, too. Anyone who wants to join me is welcome, although I'd like to set the cap at maybe 10 people so we can stay under the radar. First come, first served, and the sign up starts today.

0 Responses

Post a Comment