Kelley
So no one has ever really accused me of talking like a man (although I apparently had a husky voice as a little kid). Nor have I really been accused of walking like a woman. But I am a woman who has, on more than one occasion, been accused of man-ish qualities. Normally I wouldn't be claiming this on a public forum like ye olde internet...but I don't truly feel any of them are a threat to my femininity. And the most recent accusation makes me doubt the grasp of masculinity some people have.

Even though I am not abnormally tall, I have been told by several (admittedly short) girls over the years that I am tall like a man. When I visited my friend in Finland last summer, she informed me that I put change in my pockets like a man (so I got a coin purse at MARIMEKKO!!!!!!). And many female acquaintances of mine have commented on my boyish taste in movies and humor. All of these I can understand, even if I don't necessarily agree with them. Recently, many of my students and co-workers have informed me of a certain manish behavior I am exhibiting. This particular accusation I do not understand really at all.

As you may or may not know, the Soccer World Cup is only a month away. As part of the hype, a certain company makes World Cup sticker books. Yes, you heard right. There are stickers of the team's group photo, emblem, and then a head shot of each player on the team. The books are actually kind of cool. And filling them is fun...it is like trading baseball cards, but the cards are stickers! I definitely got a book, and for the past couple of weeks, I have been collecting and trading stickers like a crazed 3rd grade girl. Or, apparently, like a Honduran man.

Yes. Apparently the girls do not like to fill out these books, even though it is a combination of hot, athletic boys and stickers (two things that I personally enjoy very much). Rather, these sticker books are in the Honduran man's domain. You read that right. You have not seen anything until you have seen two grown men haggling over stickers. Or a professional man in a business suit flipping through his sticker book at the bus station.

If owning a sticker book full of pictures of gorgeous futbolistas means I am acting like a man...I am ok with that. Forget you, Shania Twain.
2 Responses
  1. Lola Says:

    LOL!!! You crack me up, and men trading and bargaining over stickers would be quite entertaining.


  2. Kelley Says:

    heehee, it really is! I have tried to take pictures of it ninja style, but they haven't turned out very well.


Post a Comment