Kelley
For a land filled with people who do not know how to read, Honduras really loves to put signs up. Most of their signs are pictoral. One would assume that they use pictures so that those who do not know how to read can understand the signs. If that was the original intention, all I have to say is: EPIC FAIL. These signs are incredibly cryptic and many people have no idea what they mean. For your viewing pleasure, I am including some of these insane signs, as well as some signs that struck me as downright hilarious. Enjoy.

1: An oldie but goodie...

I know that I included this picture on my post about my trip to Tela. But I have yet to figure out what the monkey is doing on this sign. And no one has been able to give a logical explanation.


2: Call the locksmith! Call the locksmith?

If this sign were near an auto shop of some sort, or even someone's house who does mechanical type things with cars, it might make sense. Maybe even a stand that makes keys. Perhaps even a parking lot where there is an attendant who takes your keys for you. Alas, none of these scenarios are the reality. This sign is in Copan Ruinas, at the bottom of a hill, surrounded by tomato fields and cow pastures.

3. You are here...and here.

The town of Rio Dulce, Guatemala helps you defy the laws of physics. As you can see, according to this sign, I am in two places at once. For those of you who have always said it can't be done...Guatemala makes it possible.

4. The Honduran Narwhal

This sign is by far my favorite. What the mess?!?! You can find it all along the Honduran coast, as well as random places further inland.

5. Have you found Jesus?


One argument that I have heard against street signs from some Honduran friends is that they aren't helpful. I did not understand that comment fully until I saw this sign. It is helpfully pointing you in the wrong direction to a major city park. I would like to make the motion that street signs can be helpful. The ones down here just don't happen to fall into that category.

I am going to stop here because it takes FOREVER to load pictures. But more will be added as time and internet allows. Because I have plenty more where these came from.
4 Responses
  1. sugarbee Says:

    I have laughed so hard. Mostly because I have been there and it is sooooo true!


  2. Unknown Says:

    1. I thought I provided a perfectly logical explaination for this sign in my earlier comment.
    2. Something about giant keys smashing your vehicle, but only if you happen to drive a lincoln mark III
    3. Is that a 3-D model? if so that is effin cool to have as a "you are here" sign
    4. I'm sorry Dr. Evil we were not able to procure fricken sharks with fricken lazer beams on their heads, but hopefully the bottle nose dolphins with lazer beams attached to their heads will suffice.
    5. I got nothin...


  3. Anonymous Says:

    That Monkey is identical copy of an Incan art work in or at least nearer to Peru. I have a shirt that HAS it on there. It's one of the ones that's only viewable from the air. It's a bunch of rocks that draw out the shape of the monkey in the middle of a dessert plateau. No why it's on that sign, I dunno... perhaps they are saying they have monkeys there, or other early american art? Cuz, I'm pretty sure that monkey is down in South America...

    WampIncan ©


  4. Kelley Says:

    John, you are right...I forgot about your previous explanation. You are a great sign interpretor. The Guate map is not 3-D, sadly.

    JJ- Have you been there? That is on my list of places to see. They didn't have any art at this hotel...maybe they employ a Peruvian?


Post a Comment