Kelley
Saturday morning I was exploring Honduras's capital city and I stumbled across the zoological gardens. Sadly, the zoo itself was closed. Happily, they still charged me admission. Wait, scratch that. I wasn't really excited to find out that the zoo was closed after I had already paid. Alas. But then I saw this sign:

I had heard of the Cristo del Picacho statue, and I was really excited to have stumbled upon it. The arrow was pointing to a trail, so I parked my car and headed down the trail. As you might expect if you have read your Bible, the path was narrow and difficult. Also, there were not many people on it. The reason there were not many people on it, however, was not because they are all a bunch of slacker sinners. It was because the sign lied to me. This particular path does not lead to Jesus. It leads to a highway. The same statue-less highway I drove up on. awesome.
The hike back to the car was exhausting (Teguz is at a much higher elevation than San Pedro), and I'm probably going to be really sore tomorrow. As I (finally) approached my car to head back to the hotel, the little old man who was guarding the parking lot asked me if I had found Jesus. I told him that I took the trail but failed to find this gigantic, yet somehow strangely elusive statue. He then told me that the reason I didn't see the statue on that trail is because the statue is not even in that direction. I desperately wished I knew enough Spanish to ask why that sign is there if it doesn't point people in the right direction, but I had to be content with asking him for proper directions.

The old man pointed down the road, so I hopped into my car and soon came to another park. It was very beautiful, with many trails going in different directions. I picked a path and began walking. At long last I saw him standing tall above the trees.


It is a beautiful statue overlooking the city. The view was breathtaking. Totally worth the misdirection at the beginning. And my adventure on this literal walk gave some interesting insight to my own spiritual walk. Nothing I particularly care to post, but if you ask me about it I will be happy to share. In the meantime, here are some pictures. The scritpure quoted is I guess the inspiration for the statue. To save you some time looking it up, it says "Then he led them out at far as Bethany, and lifting up his hands he blessed them. While he blessed them, he parted from them and was carried up to heaven. Luke 24:50-51"

0 Responses

Post a Comment